September 2, 2021 • Christina Tantoy
Category: Legal Updates
Earlier this month, the City of San Francisco revised its “Safer Return Together” Health Order to require restaurants (indoor dining), bars, clubs, gyms, and large indoor events to obtain proof of vaccination from patrons and employees.
The key requirements of the Health Order are as follows:
- As of August 20th, businesses must require proof of full vaccination status from all guests and patrons over the age of 12.
- Starting on October 13th, these businesses must require proof of full vaccination status from their employees working in indoor dining, clubs, and gyms, subject to medical and religious exemptions.
Businesses may not use self-attestation or ask for proof of a negative COVID-19 test. Both guests and employees must show proof of full vaccination status in one of three ways:
- Vaccination Record Card (CRC) from the CDC;
- Image of the card (e.g., a picture on one’s phone); or
- Through an approved private app (e.g., Clear HealthPass, CommonPass, or VaxYes).
Businesses should notify their affected employees of the vaccination requirement and the October 13th deadline as soon as possible. Employers should also retain records of an employee’s vaccination status, such as making a copy of their vaccination card and placing it in the employee’s confidential medical file.
Lastly, employers should keep in mind that, despite these requirements, they are still required to engage in the interactive process and assess potential accommodations should an employee raise concerns related to medical and religious exemptions to the vaccine.
More details regarding this requirement, including mandatory notices, can be found here. Contact a Stokes Wagner attorney if you have any questions.
For a printable PDF of this article, click here.
THIS DOCUMENT PROVIDES A GENERAL SUMMARY AND IS FOR INFORMATIONAL/EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO BE COMPREHENSIVE, NOR DOES IT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. PLEASE CONSULT WITH COUNSEL BEFORE TAKING OR REFRAINING FROM TAKING ANY ACTION.